The Colorado Trail Foundation
The Colorado Trail Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation funded by private individuals, companies, foundations, and the U.S. Forest Service. It is overseen by an elected Board of Directors tasked with creating a vision for the Trail, with short- and long-term planning to achieve those goals, and with ensuring that the Foundation is financially healthy. It employs three full-time employees: an executive director, field operations manager, and office manager.
Our Mission Statement
The mission of The Colorado Trail Foundation is to provide and maintain, through voluntary and public involvement, and in cooperation with the U.S. Forest Service and federal Bureau of Land Management, a linear, non-motorized, sustainable, recreation trail between Denver and Durango. This trail will provide multi-day, inspirational, and educational values keyed to the diverse, high mountain, natural environment.
- To provide a unique, high-altitude experience
- To support environmental education
- To provide an avenue for healing and self-renewal
- To increase an appreciation for the value of natural systems
- To encourage a cooperative effort to maintain these systems
- To promote a sense of public ownership